::*.blog.this.*::

Daisypath PicDaisypath Ticker

Monday, September 26, 2005

.racing.times.

i ran the bucktown 5k yesterday. i ran this same race last year, when i was fully trained for the marathon. i'm a normally slow runner. so last year, my aim was to run the 5K in 30 minutes. slow for most people, but that's pushing it for me.

this year, i haven't been able to train for anything (stupid ankle). so when i signed up for this, i figured my goal should be about 33 minutes, 32 minutes, if i'm lucky. well, i pushed myself yesterday. i wanted to stop and walk more than i actually did, but i didn't. i kept pushin. kept running. and what happened?

i ran it 7 seconds slower than i did last year. 7 seconds! can you believe it?? and the last time i ran was about 2 weeks ago...unbelieveable. i know i should be so proud of myself. and i am. however, now that i know that i could run that fast without training this whole time...can you imagine how fast i could have run it, had i been able to train??! i could have broken 30 minutes! that's unbelieveable for me! sure, most of my friends can run a 5K in way less than 30 minutes...i like to use the excuse that i'm short, with short legs - that's why i tend to run so slow. i still stand by that. ;)

there's all this talk about marathon training and cheering, everywhere i go...i long to be able to run long distances again. sure it's difficult, and at the time i actually run the long runs, i would much rather be sleeping in my nice air-conditioned condo...but i love it. i admit it. i LOVE running now. shocking, i know. and yes, i'm the same girl who was huffing and puffing sophomore year in college, who could barely run 5 minutes straight. it makes me feel like i'm doing something. like i'm actually accomplishing something. i make a goal and i actually follow through with it. i seem to never do that anymore. when i make goals at work, i usually don't meet it. ok, maybe i do, but sometimes i'm late. i used to never be late. this wedding stuff, i planned on working on this stuff all night. but what have i done? almost nada. i updated the guestlist with the rsvps that we received today. sent out a couple emails following up with some things...ugh.

so 5 days to go until the rsvp deadline. we're at a 54% response rate. that's pretty normal, i think. i just dread having to contact all the non-responders...blech.

lisa b came over yesterday and together we were able to put together more than 1/2 of those ribbon wands. woohoo! now i just need to work on them a little every night. i need to figure out the programs...bring them to kinkos to print out and hole punch. then string the ribbon thru the programs. think i'll have to make a stop to joann fabrics tomorrow night. can't wait to stop by!

ok, gotta get back to trying to get some wedding "work" done.

19 more days...



1 Comments:

At 9/27/2005 03:06:00 PM, Blogger bobvis said...

Hi Myra,
I think I sometimes run faster when I haven't been exercising. My explanation is that not exercising allows my sugars to build up so I don't get tired as quickly. Of course, this only works to a point. If I were to run a marathon, I would probably train like heck until one week prior. I would just lounge for the prior week. (I don't know if that is recommended or healthy though.)

I've started biking to and from work now. It's five miles. I often find now that I am constantly hungry.
Bob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home